Friday, March 24, 2006

Ratattack

I have a massive rodent fear - I dont know why i just do - which is a terrible affliction when you live in a city like London. Hello, I mean they did have the plague here for a reason - there's something like a billion rats in this city - well just about anyway.
Ever since the mice issue from my previous flat, I've been waiting for these critters to make an appearance in my new flat. At night I freak every time I hear a slight creak, I know they're down there, waiting, waiting till the day the come out and attack... Yeah OK, dont judge.
So there I am sitting in this private members media club, and it's all lovely and posh and they have these gold guilded chaise lounges scattered around the place. And I'm talking to these film producers when all of a sudden, there goes a mouse scuttling past our table and everyone sits there like it's nothing. And I'm in the middle of a sentence but my eye is just captivated by that stupid little mouse. But of course I just pretend i didn't see that hideous thing running past. Even though we all did. And I cant help but think that despite all its poshness, the place is just a bit grubby on the inside. Which is probably just about the perfect description for most of London. Everytime you watch an American version of London on TV it's all Big Bens and Buckingham Palace and Beefeaters, but they dont mention the Pigeons and rats and graffiti oh and the dogshit. Paris gets all the blame, but there's a lot of dogshit around as well. Aside from that, and the crowds and the pollution and the people who clip their nails on public transport (dont even get me started about that), its not so bad a place. Really. It's taken me a few years but I think I'm getting used to it. Finally.
And if it weren't for the mice, it may just about be well, not perfect by any means, but you know alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home