Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Theatre on my mind

I find it fascinating how actors continue to act in plays that have widely received scathing or very negative reviews. This bore heavily on my mind as I went to see a play at a very respected theatre which has gotten a hammering from the press and mostly received 1 star for its production. I was actually excited about seeing it, because I thought surely it couldn't be as bad as that - I've worked with this theatre quite a lot before and they always get rave reviews for anything that they produce, even though I find quite a lot of their plays fairly dull. Anyway, it all started promisingly and then an hour later the play was over and I was like uh, what. It was the first time the stage lights went on and the audience didnt actually know whether they were meant to applaud. I peered at the actors faces as they hesitantly started to bow and felt really badly for them - but really there was no excuse the play really needed a lot more time before it was ready for production.
Cut to me a week later arguing with a 70 year old actor about the play - he loved it, and I understood why it was widely panned - I think I insulted him, I'm not sure. Perhaps I got too passionate - should one avoid revealing one's true thoughts to elderly people? Should one pay reverance to the elderly when they say stuff you dont really agree with? Hmmm..
Cut to me now, another week later trying to avoid seeing my own play that's on at a london theatre this week. Sent a pathetic excuse to the director that I couldnt make the dress rehearsals, anyway its too late, they cant really make any changes now. Will be seeing it on its final performance. Sitting squirming hoping that its not a big car crash. It shouldn't be, I hope.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I came across your blog the other day via londonbloggers and had a bloody good giggle at your Starbucks Rants. Definitely added to my favourites list!

Neil

9:57 am  
Blogger samscomps said...

I like when people comment on my blog, it brings me back from the dead and remember my duty to the blog. Thanks Neil for adding me to your fave list!

1:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home