Friday, April 21, 2006

Hairy muffin

Good ol Starbucks, hate it as much as you want, you can't escape it's round green disc glaring at you from every street corner. Especially when there's nothing else open and you havent had dinner, so you escape during the interval of a rather long theatre play to find some source of food and all you see is *$ (*star $bucks - gettit - yeah great) and all they have are some muffins and coffee. Which you grab and rush back to the theatre and start stuffing inside your mouth, only to find - a hair. OK, being used to venturing into many rather un-posh eateries, i'm used to finding the odd hair in my food. So taking it as a one off, I spit the mouthful out, and still being hungry, take another mouthful to find - yup more hair. Now, even me, with my rather lack of germaphobe tendencies, has to draw the line at two mouthfuls of hair. My friend and I dissect the muffin and find more evidence of hair. Now this was ridiculous, perhaps even sabotage on the part of some miffed *$ employee on his/her last shift on the muffin making production line, but I wasn't going to be the butt of his/her prank. I kept my muffin and the next day posted it with a letter about how disgusted I was with the hairy muffin. Starbucks's response £10 worth of vouchers. Woohoo! How very gracious of you you big multinational coffee spouting beast. I mentioned this to someone who lived in the states, and they said if I was in the US I'd have been better taking the hairy muffin to a lawyer who'd probably sue *$ for millions - making me very rich. Alas, I live in the UK which so far isn't a very litigious society. But one day, one day we can all aspire to live in an advanced, forward thinking, intelligent society like the United States... till then the £10 vouchers will have to suffice, I guess.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gordon Strachan said...

I used to work in a cafe in competition with Starbucks, (Java Junction) and everyone would come to ours thinking 'yay the underdog!' although they never realised that the company that owned us also owned Burger King...

Anyway - the hair. I bet they did it on purpose. Just think, by sabotaging a single muffin and selling it off, they've just guaranteed themselves more custom from you! Sure, they're down by a tenner, but you're hardly likely to stop there. I say make your own muffins before going to the theatre, then if there's a hair in it, you might not be so grossed out...

9:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I have to choose between *$ and Gloria Jeans, I go for Gloria. Australian owned, you know?

Hair in food is gross, but I am the same. If I find one, I gernally go, "Gross", take it out, but keep eating the item.

But a bunch of hair is a different story, of course.

4:34 am  
Blogger Lady Rants said...

Like your blog. I once sent some Frazzles back to whence they came on account of their being too damn salty, but got a letter back asking me to include more than one Frazzle next time and £3 of Smiths vouchers. What the ****? Anyway, keep up the fellow ranting...

10:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home