Thursday, December 01, 2005

Hey, dude!


I've noticed I've started saying 'dude' a lot recently. I dont know why. It's annoying, and fairly obnoxious, but its out there. Duuude. I mean what do I think I am, some Californian surfer stuck in the 80's? Honestly.

How about man - thats a bit outdated now, right? Hey, man! What's up, man? You know, man, you really shouldn't be wearing cords anymore. They are so 1990's. And I've never been able to use mate. Hey, mate, can you pass us that blade so I can cut through the wires of this car alarm? So random. Mate, goin' down to the pub? No one's ever said that to me. I'm more likely to hear, lets get some cocktails at that new bar in Soho. It's more a bloke thing, I think, mate. Mate, you want to grab some jellied eels?

I noticed on Lost that the fat guy says dude alot. After a while all that dude-saying becomes really irritating. "It's like dude, don't go down there, the polar bear will come out and like totally like get you! Dude!" Blah.

Maybe I'll start saying Rad, and Gnarly, and Right on! Or yo. Or hommie. Or homeboy. Or maybe even brotha, or sistah - how obnoxious would that be. My sistah, pass the doochie on the left hand side. Peace out!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use 'man' a lot, but everytime I do, I regret it. It's like a hang over from my youth. I need to find something else to use in its stead, but sometimes, it is just the best term for the situion, you know?

I also have started saying 'quite frankly', eg "I really don't care what you think, quite frankly."

I got it off a work colleague and now it has stuck.

10:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this habit of saying 'classic' if someone tells me a slightly interesting story.

"And then the ice skater slipped off the podium!"

"Classic!!"

But maybe only I notice that.

You should see a play called something like "A night with Shell Silversteen". I've got it wrong but someone will correct me. But in it they interrogate this guy who came up with all those sayings like "Far out" and he says, "I didn't mean it, I was at the beach and a guy swam out and they said he'd gone out a long way and I just said "Far out". I'm sorry."

It was pretty funny....

7:09 am  
Blogger samscomps said...

the dude-ing is starting to wind down thankfully... quite frankly reminds me of, to be honest,
To be honest with you I quite frankly don't understand the classic tale you have told me, man.

2:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever dude, I like it.

11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an f'ing Aussie and you don't use MATE? What's wrong with you? I don't think you're an Aussie at all. You're just faking. Go eat a Violet Crumble, watch a bonza episode of Neighbours and remember your roots!

5:27 pm  
Blogger samscomps said...

Hee! Sophie you are so not a fake aussie, what with this pretend LA lifestyle you've got going. Get yourself a cuppa, wear some tartan slippers, eat a jaffa cake and admit it - Your f*king English! No amount of running away is going to hide that fact.

5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home