Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Eye gouging filmmaking


Saw Flightplan last night - wow what a film! It made me want to gouge out my eyeballs with a fork and then stab them for having witnessed such a heinous act of filmmaking. Aside from that it was great...

Ever been in a film where it gets so bad that you just cant help but laugh (in a sardonic manner of course - which goes a little something like huh huh, or just a hur), and then you look around and find that in fact nobody but you is laughing in such a way? Instead these people are actually being pulled into the utter nonsensical claptrap that is being projected for their mindless consumption? Are these the same people who hanker for McDonalds and feel satisfied after eating a Big Mac?

It was a rubbish film because it failed to fulfill two basic remits of storytelling:
1) Suspension of disbelief
2) A sympathetic protagonist

What was Jodie Foster thinking?

Not quite bad as Love Actually (people - do you really think Londoners live like that? Do you? Really? Is that why you made it the most rented movie of 2004? Why? Why? Why? Have you no taste? No qualms? No consideration for quality? OK I'll stop, but still I'll suffer... Especially since people close to me admit to liking the film) but still its up there.

Thank God that the Pillow Book was on Channel 4 - stayed up till 2am watching it to get rid of the slimy, grimy, lardy aftertaste of Flightplan. If you havent seen it I thoroughly recommend it...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Love Actually was pretty good. I saw it twice on an aeroplane so some bits were cut out.

I really hated Deconstructing Harry. Woody Allen, so crude, so often...

10:57 pm  
Blogger samscomps said...

But see, I think our normal standards of acceptable entertainment don't matter on the plane. We'll watch any old fodder just to while away the hours. I watched How to lose a guy in 10 days with Kate Hudson twice! Yes, twice on my plane ride back from Oz. I'm fairly sure the plane was depressurised but they failed to drop the oxygen masks. I blame the lack of oxygen I tell you...

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home