Thursday, January 12, 2006

Theatrical conversation

This is a conversation I had last night with a literary theatre lady in the interval of a play.
Theatre lady (TL): So what does (-insert indian word-) mean?
Me trying to grasp at the meaning since I really wasnt sure offer some kind of explanation.
TL trying to understand but not really: Right, right. But what does it mean? Because I heard it used a few times in the play.
Me really trying to remember, offer pretty much the same explanation again. I'm like a thesaurus. Then say: I really am not the best person to ask.
TL: (Shocked - and I dont mean sarcastically shocked, like actually shocked) Really? You're not?
Me: No see, since I'm not Indian. I dont speak hindi, I speak (-insert my language-) (I start to offer an explanation of the differences in my heritage and Indian culture).
TL (a bit intensely now trying to understand) Tries to pronounce the name of my language but fails: Right, right. So what do the images mean in Indian culture. (And trust me she phrased this question so vaguely I had no idea what she was on about and we went back and forth for a bit before I ascertained that's what she was asking).
Me: (Really confused) You mean the images in the play?
TL: Yes, yes the play. The images.
Me: I uh, (vaguely trying to remember any significant images and really pushing my mind into overtime trying to find links but failing) I really can't say, since Indian culture is quite different from my own. (and really I thought of attempting an explanation but thought I didnt want to be the second fool in this conversation).
TL: Really? Is it? But the images... They surely have some significance.
OK lets pause here and consider the fact that she works in the literary department of the theatre where the play was being performed. OK so she's new there, but still...
Me: Uh, I uh, you know I'll have to let the play sink in, give it some time before I can really discover the full significance... blah blah bullshit.
TL: Yes, but what do the images mean in Indian culture. (Here she takes a big sip of wine).
OK now firstly I could be offended because she really didnt get that I wasn't Indian. Secondly I could consider that perhaps she was testing my credentials as a playwright. But I didnt think either, she was a well-meaning intense kind of nervous woman who just didnt know better, but still I was left very confused. And strangely enough so was she by this odd conversation.
TL (suddenly the penny seems to drop): OH ah, right, well, yes... (starts beating a hasty retreat). See you after the play.
Of course we never spoke after the play. But the whole thing was So Weird....
Really did show how damn anglo-centric the whole of the theatre world is (yeah, like no duh!) despite their best efforts in trying to be "inclusive" by recruiting people like me on board.
Anyway welcome back London.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was TL American? That's the only explanantion I can offer, I'm afraid...

4:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home